Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Euro-cracy

I also had a classic encounter with Euro-cracy when I was trying to get to the airport. I went to the Gare du Midi to try to find a bus or a train to the airport. Upon asking someone which was the best option I was told:

"I work for the railway. The bus driver will tell you that they are the best and the taxi driver will tell you he is the best. I can sell you a railway ticket."

After establishing when the next train was and how long it would take to get to the airport I bought a ticket. After receiving the ticket I looked at it, but the track number was not listed.

"What track does the train arrive on?"
I ask.

Ticket seller all but rolls his eyes and looks at the screen behind me. After a minute "Track 16"

"Where is track 16?"
I ask.

"Over there" he points vaguely behind me and waves for the next person in line.

Needless to say I found the train and got to the airport in time but the whole episode was rather amusing in its absurdity.

No comments:

Post a Comment