Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My Goodness, My Guinness!

Brilliant!

Dave here from Dublin! Today I went around the city by bus briefly checking out the sites and then toured the Guinness Storehouse. Pretty great place. It's a self-guided tour so you can go through it at your own pace which is nice, because the portion on the brewing process is interesting - but if you've done all of the Fort Collins brewery tours it doesn't really stack up. It's more like an exhibit - because the tour goes through the storehouse, and you don't get to see the actual beer being brewed. The most interesting is the advertising section showing all of the advertising throughout the ages. There's also an archive room that has all of the log books and working records going back all the way to 1759. You can pull out notes from advertising campaigns, old newspapers and read the reports that the people from Guinness who toured around the world wrote about their beer experiences in other countries and how well Guinness is being represented. There's logs going back to the early 1900s. Really interesting.


Last night I took a musical pub tour about the pub tradition and music in Ireland - I didn't learn anything new on the music side, but I met the tour guides who were both musicians and they told me of a session going on that night at a place called the Palace Bar and I was able to join in with a trio of guys. It was a little intimidating, because it was in the tourist area of town and there were a bunch of people there watching and the guy leading it was older and was really good, but I decided to sit down anyway and play and had a great time and got a lot of compliments.

Cheers!

wza out.

No comments:

Post a Comment