Friday, July 10, 2009

Last post before the biking!

Hey folks, Dave here-

Dublin has been great, there's so much to see and so many famous people from here. When I arrived I got a three day bus pass that you can also use on a double decker tour bus company here which goes to all the sites around town so that's been great. Yesterday I went to Trinity College and to their amazing library with the famous Book of Kells. Trinity College is so old and they have a lot of laws for their campus that have been outdated but never repealed - laws like "Students are allowed to carry their swords on campus", or "If a student sees a priest walking down Grafton Street on a Saturday afternoon with his collar on, they can shoot them, but only from the first floor window, and only with a crossbow".

Then it was on to Grafton Street (didn't see any priests) just to walk down it - it was where a couple of the scenes from the movie "Once" was filmed.

Next I went to Saint Patricks Cathedral, which was incredible. Amazing architecture and breathtaking stained glass works.

Then to Kilmainin Gaol - and old jail where several of the leaders of the 1916 Irish Rebellion were executed. It was also used in the original version of "The Italian Job", the movie "Michael Collins", and the new series "The Tudors".



Next to the old Jameson Whiskey Distillery. That tour was really interesting since I had never been to a distillery before.

Then it was off for appetizers at The Porterhouse - one of the only Microbreweries in Ireland. Pretty good beer.. but not amazing. I did have some oysters there though, and they were good. After than I wandered to M.J. O'Neills because I had been recommended their Guinness Beef Stew - and it was amazing. I left there though, because the live music was looking to be more of a performance than a session and walked to The Cobblestones in Smithfield. There were a couple girls playing fiddle and concertina and I joined them for awhile, but it's hard being the only rhythm and chord instrument when it's harmonica, and you don't really know the songs. Then I walked to The Boars Head and there was a large group of musicians and I sat down with them and jammed - tons of fun. There was a fiddle player and mandolin player there who were amazing and were in a bluegrass band together - some of the stuff they played blew my mind.




Now it's off to some museums, art galleries, and just enjoying the city for one more day before I head to Belgium early tomorrow!

Catch you later -

wza out.

No comments:

Post a Comment